Friday, April 22, 2011

Egyptian Scarab Beetle




This is a knife painting with oil on canvas paper.  This is a reproduction of an ancient artifact. I like ancient Egyptian history. This is taken from a symbol of Tutankhamun's throne name NEB-KHEPERU-RE, lord of manifestations of Re'. I am working on more pieces from that time period. Below the beetle are stick figures of egyptian people. On the right 2 slaves and a gaurd. On the left a gaurd and a pharaoh. This is a bejewelled winged scarab beetle rolling the sun with it's forelegs, and resting it's hindlegs on a basket. This work is from the 18th dynasty. 

I studied a lot of Egyptian art history. I am very interested in the language and symbol meanings. The tombs and afterlife stories are amazing.  The culture was so creative and expressive. I have seen some of the artifacts up close in museums but have yet to make it to Egypt myself.  I will visit eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment